Grantchester is a British ITV detective drama series set in the 1950s in the Cambridgeshire village of Grantchester. The series is based on The Grantchester Mysteries, a short story collection by James Runcie. The first series was based on the six stories from the book Sidney Chambers and the Shadow of Death and was broadcast in 2014. Season 8 of Grantchester is here, and we are about to get more episodes.
What is Grantchester About?
The series follows the unlikely partnership between Sidney Chambers, a charismatic and unconventional vicar, and Geordie Keating, a gruff and experienced detective inspector. The two men are drawn together by their shared love of justice and desire to help those in need. Alongside their work on the police force, Sidney and Geordie also investigate many murders in the village of Grantchester. Their investigations often take them into the town’s dark underbelly, where they encounter a variety of criminals and other unsavory characters.
However, the series is about more than just crime and detection. It is also a story about friendship, love, and loss. Sidney and Geordie’s relationship is at the heart of the series, and it is a relationship that is both complex and rewarding.
Grantchester Season 8 Cast:
- Tom Brittney as Reverend Will Davenport
- Robson Green as Inspector Geordie Keating
- Al Weaver as Leonard Finch
- Tessa Peake-Jones as Mrs. Maguire
- Kacey Ainsworth as Cathy Keating
- Priyanga Burford as Amanda Kendall
- Nick Brimble as Jack Chapman
- James Norton as Sidney Chambers (recurring)
Grantchester Season 8 Plot:
— MASTERPIECE | PBS (@masterpiecepbs) July 10, 2023
The new season of Grantchester finds Will and Geordie investigating a series of murders that are shaking the village’s foundations. As they work to solve the crimes, they will also be forced to confront their demons.
Release Date & Time
Grantchester Season 8 premieres on Sunday, July 9, 2023, 9/8c on MASTERPIECE Mystery! on PBS.
Where to Watch Grantchester Season 8?
Grantchester Season 8 will air on MASTERPIECE Mystery! on PBS in the United States. The series is also available to stream on PBS, Amazon Prime Video, and BritBox.
What was Grantchester Season 7 about?
Grantchester Season 7 was set in the summer of 1959, just before the Swinging Sixties began, and murders and mayhem for Geordie and Will to investigate. Moreover, they face some turmoil in their personal lives.
Here are some of the main storylines in Grantchester Season 7:
- Will Davenport (Tom Brittney) struggles to come to terms with the death of his mentor, Sidney Chambers (James Norton). He is also facing pressure from his bishop to conform to the Church of England’s strictures.
- Geordie Keating (Robson Green) is dealing with the fallout from his wife’s infidelity. He is also facing a new boss, DCI Elliot Wallace (Michael D Xavier), who is determined to make his mark on the force.
- Leonard Finch (Al Weaver) is trying to understand his sexuality. He is also facing pressure from his family to marry a woman.
- Mrs. Maguire (Tessa Peake-Jones) is diagnosed with cancer. She is determined to fight the disease but also worried about its impact on her family.
Is there a trailer for Grantchester Season 8?
Yes! Masterpiece PBS released the trailer for Grantchester Season 8 on their YouTube channel a month ago. You can watch it below.