Perfect Days Soundtrack: All the songs featured in the movie – “Perfect Days” is a 2023 drama film directed by Wim Wenders and co-written by Wenders and Takuma Takasaki. The film vied for the Palme d’Or at the 2023 Cannes Film Festival, debuting on May 25th and clinching the Prize of the Ecumenical Jury along with the Best Actor Award for Kōji Yakusho. Additionally, it received a nomination for Best International Feature Film at the 96th Academy Awards, marking the first instance of a non-Japanese director’s work being nominated as the Japanese entry.
What is the movie about?
Hirayama resides in Tokyo and works as a toilet cleaner. He is happy with his standard of living. He follows an organized and ritualized schedule and does the same things every day from dawn until dusk. Moreover, he spends his free time doing the things he loves, like listening to music in his van on the way to and from work and reading books before bed. His farming and photography projects show how much he loves trees and how deeply connected he is to nature. Hirayama’s careful and exact work shows how much he cares about his job. As the story goes on, we learn more about Hirayama’s personality through the different people he meets.
Takashi, a young coworker of Hirayama’s, works the second shift. Takashi, unlike Hirayama, is often late, talks loudly, and doesn’t do his work completely. When Aya, a young woman, comes to the bathroom to see Takashi one day, he is in a hurry to finish his work. Later, Takashi convinces Hirayama to give him the van when his motorcycle breaks down. Hirayama sits in the back with Takashi and talks quietly with him while he drives. For someone who likes rock ‘n’ roll, Hirayama has a wide range of tapes, but he doesn’t talk much.
In his “Perfect Days” movie review, Debanjan says, “Wim Wenders’ Perfect Days is an invitation to accept and cherish with humility and grace the miraculous in the everyday. It is a film that evokes the richness in the smallest of things in life we take for granted. There’s a deep-set languor with which Wenders concedes dignity to the most banal gestures, a profound respectfulness combined with an unceasing awe. There’s little place for cynicism in this film, but when sadness does sneak up, the effects are quietly volcanic.”
Perfect Days Soundtrack: All songs Featured in the movie
While “Perfect Days” is full of heartfelt moments and shocking reveals, the music acts as both a companion and a guide, winding its way through the complicated web of human feelings. All of the songs, from Otis Redding’s soulful tunes to Lou Reed’s creative lyrics, have a meaning that goes beyond the screen.
- The House of the Rising Sun – Performed by The Animals
- Pale Blue Eyes – Written by Lou Reed, Performed by The Velvet Underground
- (Sittin’ on) The Dock of the Bay – Written by Otis Redding and Steve Cropper, Performed by Otis Redding
- Redondo Beach – Written by Patti Smith, Leonard J. Kaye, and Richard Sohl, Performed by Patti Smith
- (Walkin’ Thru the) Sleepy City – Written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, Performed by The Rolling Stones
- Aoi sakana (Blue Fish) – Lyrics and music by Sachiko Kanenobu, Performed by Sachiko Kanenobu
- Perfect Day – Written by Lou Reed, Performed by Lou Reed
- Sunny Afternoon – Written by Ray Davies, Performed by The Kinks
- The House of the Rising Sun – Japanese version, Written by Maki Asakawa
- Brown Eyed Girl – Written by Van Morrison, Performed by Van Morrison